Historical Football Kits


English FA Cup Finalists 1910 - 1915

fa cup khaki final 1915In July 1910 the FA Cup trophy, having been duplicated without the authority of the Football Association, was withdrawn and a new version, the third in the history of the competition, was commissioned from Messrs Fattorini & Sons of Bradford. The first winners of the new trophy were, fittingly enough, Bradford City. This trophy is the one that clubs compete for to this day. Newcastle finally got their hands on the cup after four final appearances only to have it snatched away again in 1911. Chelsea made their first final appearance in the "Khaki Final" of 1915 (left) after which the competition was suspended for the duration of the Great War.

1909 - 1910

Newcastle United 2 Barnsley 0 (Replay after 1-1 draw)

venue Crystal Palace: Replay at Goodison Park, Liverpool
date 23 & 28 April 1910

In their fourth final in six years, Newcastle faced unfancied Barnsley who played in the Second Division. Once again the Geordies failed to win at Crystal Palace. Barnsley played the sort of bustling physical games that would upset more talented teams throughout the FA Cup's history and took the lead in the first half. Newcastle equalised late in the game and in the replay, they deservedly won by two goals to nil.


1910 - 1911

Bradford City 1 Newcastle United 0 (Replay after 0-0 draw)

venue Crystal Palace: Replay at Old Trafford, Manchester
date 22 & 26 April 1911

Poor old Newcastle, making their fifth appearance in seven years were unable to overcome their Crystal Palace jinx and after a dull game, were held to a scoreless draw by unfancied Bradford City. 58,000 people turned up to watch the replay in Manchester, a record for a midweek game. Newcastle could not overcome City's defence after the Yorkshire side scored after 15 minutes. The brand new FA Cup returned to Bradford, where it had been made.


1911 - 1912

Barnsley 1 West Bromwich Albion 0 (Extra Time played) (Replay after 0-0 draw)

venue Crystal Palace: replay at Bramall Lane, Sheffield
date 20 & 24 April 1912

For the third year in a row the final went to a replay. Barnsley, losing finalists in 1910, finally beat West Brom but they needed extra time in the replay to score the decisive goal. The Tykes became the third team from the Second Division to win the FA Cup.


1912 - 1913

Aston Villa 1 Sunderland 0

venue Crystal Palace
date 19 April 1913

For the first time the top two teams in the League contested the FA Cup final. An enormous crowd of 120,081 packed into Crystal Palace to witness this "battle of the giants", as it was billed. Villa had to struggle for their victory. They missed a penalty and lost their goalkeeper to injury in the first half, while Sunderland missed easy chances. Villa's right-half, Barber, headed home from a corner with minutes remaining. Villa's fifth FA Cup win equaled the record of Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers.


1913 - 1914

Burnley 1 Liverpool 0

venue Crystal Palace
date 25 April 1914

A record 476 clubs entered the FA Cup in 1913 and the Qualifying Round was expanded from ten to twenty-four rounds as a result. Two newcomers contested the final, the second between two Lancashire teams. Burnley prevailed in an undistinguished match and were presented with the FA Cup by King George V, the first time that a reigning monarch had attended a cup final, a mark of how significant the game had become to the national life. This was the last time that Crystal Palace would host the cup final and 72,778 spectators watched the spectacle.


1914 - 1915

Sheffield United 3 Chelsea 0

venue Old Trafford, Manchester
date 24 April

The shadow of war hung over the 1914-15 campaign but the FA decided to persevere in the interests of national morale. Many clubs were hamstrung as their players volunteered for service on the Western Front. Chelsea had struggled in the League, finishing second to last place with a diminutive forward line. To avoid interfering with war work and reduce the strain on the railway network, the final was played at Old Trafford, with just short of 50,000 spectators in attendance at what became known as "The Khaki Final." It had become clear that the war with Germany would take many years and much blood to resolve and the FA Cup and Football League were suspended for the duration.

(Nik Yeomans)

The 1900s | FA Cup Finals | The 1920s