Elected to Scottish Division Three 2000
1934-1941 a g
1967-1968 b e
2000-2003 b h
2005-2006 b h
2006-2007 b c
Elgin City was formed when Elgin Rovers and Vale of Lossie merged in August 1893. The club joined the Highland League in 1895 and three years later, they won the North of Scotland Cup, the first time that a club from outside Inverness had won the competition. They struggled in league competition, however, and in 1900 they resigned and spent two seasons in the Banffshire League before returning to the Highland League in 1902. Between 1908 and 1910 City competed in the Scottish FA Cup by virtue of their performances in the Qualifying Cup - this was the first time that a Highland side had appeared in three successive Scottish Cups.
In 1909 City (also known as the "Black & Whites") moved into Station Park. During the Great War the pitch was ploughed up to grow crops and when organised competition resumed, the club was homeless. After playing at Cooper Park on a temporary basis, City moved into their current Borough Briggs ground in 1921. Performances in the Highland League improved, the club finishing as runners-up in 1923 and in third place four times during the 1920s. In 1932 they won the Highland League title for the first time, repeating their success in 1935. They also won the Scottish Qualifying Cup in 1935 and 1937 as well as the North of Scotland Cup in 1937.
Now established as one of the leading Highland League sides, City won the title again in 1953 and 1956, adding the Northern Cup in 1955 and 1956. During the 1960s, Elgin enjoyed even greater success, capturing seven league titles and four Northern Cups. The club made its mark on the national stage with a series of thrilling runs in the Scottish FA Cup. In 1960 they disposed of Forfar Athletic before two late goals denied them a home win against Celtic. In 1967 they knocked First Division Ayr United out and in 1968 they reached the quarter-finals, beating Albion Rovers, Forfar and Arbroath on the way.
During the 1970s, Elgin's success continued with two more Highland League titles, three Northern Cup wins and a further Qualifying Cup win. They also enjoyed more successful runs in the Scottish FA Cup, adding to their reputation in a competition not noted for giant-killing. There were no championships during the 1980s although they did pick up the Qualifying Cup twice and Northern Cup (also twice). In 1990 they won a remarkable treble of Highland League, Northern and Qualifying Cups but they were stripped of their next Highland League title, won in 1993. Further Northern Cups were won back-to-back in 1998 and 1999.
The club crest appeared in 1990 and is based on the arms of the City and Royal Burgh of Elgin.
In 2000 Elgin City, along with fellow Highland League side Peterhead, were elected to the Scottish League Third Division when two vacancies were created by the expansion of the Scottish Premier League. Having been a big fish in a small pond, Elgin found themselves hard pressed to compete, even in the lowest level of the Scottish League. They were rock-bottom in 2001, ninth (out of ten) in 2003 and 2004 and in 2006-07 they made the worst possible start, losing their first ten league games but recovered to finish in the lower half of the table. They have continued to struggle and have yet to find their way out of the Third Division.