Historical Football Kits

 

Dunfermline Athletic

Formed 1885

Elected to Scottish Division Two 1912. Transferred to the Eastern League 1915.

Founder member of the reformed Scottish Division Two 1921.

Kit History

dunfermline athletic 1885

1885-1887 a b m

dunfermline athletic 1887

1887-1888 b m

dunfermline athletic 1888

1888-1895 a m

1896-1901 m v

dunfermline athletic 1901

1901-1903 m

1903-1906 m

dunfermline athletic 1906

1906-1909 m

dunfermline athletic 1909

1909-1911 a m

1911-1913 m

dunfermline athletic 1913

1913-1914 m

1917-1918 m

dunfermline athletic 1919

1919-1920 m

dunfermline athletic 1920

1920-1921 m p

dunfermline athletic 1921

1921-1922 m v

dunfermline athletic 1925

1922-1928 m v w

Black and offset central stripes also appeared
dunfermline athletic 1927 away kit

1927-1928 away m

Black and offset central stripes also appeared

1928-1932 m

dunfermline athletic 1928 away kit

1928-1929 away m

dunfermline athletic 1932-34

1932-1934 v

dunfermline athletic 1934-38

1934-1937 c m v

dunfermline athletic 1937-38

1937-1938 w

dunfermline athletic 1938-48

1938-1948 m v

dunfermline athletic 1948

1948-1951 m v

dunfermline athletic 1953

1953-1954 h m

dunfermline athletic 1954

1954-1955 r

dunfermline athletic 1955-57

1955-1957 m

dunfermline athletic 1955 warm weather kit

1955-1956 m

warm weather kit
dunfermline athletic 1956-57

1956-1957 m w

alternate kit
dunfermline athletic 1957-58

1957-1958 r

dunfermline athletic 1958-60

1958-1960 m v x

1960-1961 f r v x

dunfermline athletic 1961

1961-1962 m v x

dunfermline athletic 1962-64

1962-1964 v x

dunfermline athletic 1964-68

1964-1968 c e m v

buy dunfermline athletic 1960s shirt

1968-1971 d h m

buy vintage football shirts at toffs

1971-1972 m

dunfermline athletic 1972-73

1972-1973 l

dunfermline athletic 1973-74

1973-1974 m v

dunfermline athletic 1974-76

1974-1976 v

1976-1977 m

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1977 august

August 1977 m v

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1977

Sept 1977-1978 m

Bukta

1978-1980 h

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1980-82

1980-1982 h n u v

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1982-83

1982-1983 k u v

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1983-84

1983-1984 u

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1983-85

1984-1985 v

Bukta
dunfermline athletic 1985-86

1985-1986 h u v

Umbro
dunfermline athletic 1986

1986-1988 k v

Umbro

1988-1989 h l t v

Umbro
dunfermline athletic 1989-90

1989-1990 h l v

Umbro
dunfermline athletic 1990-92

1990-1992 h l s v

Hummel
dunfermline athletic 1992

1992-1994 h l

Matchwinner

1994-1996 h v

Le Coq Sportif
dunfermline athletic 1996

1996-1997 h o v

Avec

1997-1999 h j l v

Avec
dunfermline athletic 1999

1999-2000 g h

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2000

2000-2001 h

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2001

2001-2002 h

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2002

2002-2003 h

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2003

2003-2004 h

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2004

2004-2005 i

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2005

2005-2006 i v

TFG Sports
dunfermline athletic 2006

2006-2007 a

Adidas
dunfermline athletic 2007

2007-2008 a v

Puma
dunfermline athletic 2008-09 home kit

2008-2009 q

Puma
dunfermline athletic 2009 home kit

2009-2010 q

Puma
dunfermline athletic 2010-11 home kit

2010-2011 q

Puma
dunfermline athletic 2011-12 home kit

2011-2012 q

Joma
dunfermline athletic fc 2012-13 home kit

2012-2013 q

Joma
dunfermline athletic 2013-14 home kit

2013-2014 q

 

Background

dunfermline athletic 1960-61In 1874 the members of the Dunfermline Cricket Club formed an association football section to keep members involved during the winter. The Dunfermline Club played at Ladysmill (now McKane Park) in blue and white hooped jerseys and soon became the leading side in the area. In 1885 a group of players broke away when it was decided that only members of the cricket club could play for the football section and formed Dunfermline Athletic FC who took up residence at East End Park, adjacent to the site of the club's modern home. In 1887 they won the Fife Cup but they were then suspended from senior competition due to a dispute with the Dunfermline Club and in August 1892 Dunfermline Athletic joined the Scottish Junior FA. In 1900 it was decided at a general meeting to reinstate the club as a senior professional team.

There are several theories about the origin of the club's unusual nickname, "The Pars." According to Jim Paterson and Douglas Scott ("Black and White Magic" - 1984) in the early days when the Football Club was closely connected with the Cricket Club, the footballers were renowned for their performances at the bar and so were called the "Paralytics". However in the early 1900s it is known that Athletic's nickname was the "Dumps" - shortened from Dunfermline - and this is said to have been coined by English sailors visiting East End Park when their ship docked at Rosyth. After the 1914-18 War they were known as the Pars and some believe the parallel black and white stripes to be the reason. Another school of thought involves English workers who came to work at the armaments depot at Crombie and at Rosyth Dockyard; they kept their association with their local team by forming the Plymouth Argyle (Rosyth) Supporters Club and it is said that the Dunfermline nickname comes from the banners in evidence around the ground. Although almost certainly coincidental, there is also a curious resemblance to Dùn Phàrlain, which is the Gaelic name for Dunfermline.

In 1909 the side from the "Auld Grey Toun" adopted their now traditional black and white colours and joined the Central League. The following season they won the championship as well as the Fife Cup. In 1912 they won the Qualifying Cup and were elected to the Scottish League Second Division. In 1915 the Second Division was suspended and Dunfermline played in the Eastern League until 1918 when that competition was suspended. The following season, along with the surviving former Second Division clubs, they formed the rebel Central League, which was incorporated as the reformed Second Division in 1921.

In 1926 Dunfermline won the Second Division championship and spent two seasons in the First Division before they were relegated. They returned to the top level in 1934 and spent three seasons there before returning to the lower division.

dunfermline athletic crest 1958In 1950, while playing in Division B (second tier), Dunfermline reached the final of the Scottish League Cup but were beaten 0-3 by East Fife. In the late 1950s the club endured a yo-yo existence. On the final day of the 1958-59 season Dunfermline beat Partick Thistle 10-1 to stave off relegation on goal average. This was the season that the Pars adopted the candy-striped shirts that became their signature kit, revived on several occasions, featuring a unique triangular badge. This was designed by Colin Dymock, a local art teacher, and features the Malcom Canmore Tower, a landmark that appears on the town's coat of arms.

In March 1960 Jock Stein arrived as manager and under his leadership the "Pars" won the Scottish FA Cup in 1961, their first major honour, sensationally beating Celtic after a replay. Stein left to manage Hibernian in 1964 but his legacy at Dunfermline was dramatic and the club played regularly in Europe during dunfermline athletic crest 1971the decade and won the Scottish Cup again in 1968.

Traditional crests fell out of favour during the 1960s and Dunfermline dropped theirs in 1962. Nine years later a simple monogram was introduced but this disappeared after just one season. From 1977 the club's initials were embroidered onto the shirts as was fashionable at the time.

dunfermline athletic crest 1977In 1972 the Pars were relegated but bounced back immediately. They struggled and in 1976 they found themselves in the Scottish Second Division, which was now the third tier following the creation of the Premier Division. In 1979 they were promoted to Scottish Division One (second tier) but went down again in dunfermline athletic crest 19861983.

In 1986 the old crest was revived with some modifications to the colouring and script. This coincided with the latest restructuring of the Scottish League with the formation of the Premier League and Dunfermline were given a platform in the new First Division from which they achieved promotion to the top level in 1987. Relegated after one season, they returned as Division dunfermline athletic crest 1992One champions in 1989 and this time they stayed in the top flight until 1992.

dunfermline athletic crest 1999The club's crest was given a slight makeover in 1992 and again in 1999. In 1996 Dunfermline won the First Division title once more and remained in the Premiership for three seasons before relegation. In 2000 they returned to the Premier League yet again but struggled to retain their status. In 2001 the badge was optimised for digital reproduction..

dunfermline athletic crest 2001For the club's 125th anniversary, celebrated in 2010-11, the legend 1885-2010 was added in gold above the crest, which was itself outlined in gold. Supporters had much cause to celebrate as the team was promoted at dunfermline athletic crest 2010the end of the season back to the Premier League. Unfortunately, the SPL proved too much and they were relegated after just one season.

Unpaid taxes led to the club and the separate company that owned East End Park being served with a winding up order in March 2013. The club entered adminstration and suffered a 15 point penalty: this took them into the relegation play-dunfermline athletic crest 2013offs and the Second Division. A supporters' group, Pars United, was formed to rescue the club and in July they were given preferred bidder status by the administrators. Remarkably, the club's creditors agreed to write off the entire £10m debt allowing Pars United to take charge, put in a bid to buy East End Park and start the new season in the SPFL without incurring a further points penalty. The new owners introduced a slightly modified version of the traditional club crest.

You are welcome to Contact Me with corrections and additions.

Sources