Elected to Division Two 1898. Failed re-election 1915
Glossop North End
1898-1900 c e
1907-1910 c e f
1915-1916 a c f
Glossop were founded in 1886 as Glossop North End FC. After two season of playing friendly matches, the club entered the North Cheshire League in 1890 and introduced professional players in 1894. In 1898 on their third application they were admitted to the Football League without a vote when the league was extended and they won promotion in their first season. They spent one year in the First Division, having dropped the "North End" from their name. Glossop won only four matches and finished in last place, nine points adrift of Burnley who were also relegated.
For two seasons, Glossop finished in respectable positions near the top of Division Two but then they started to drift and were forced to apply for re-relection in 1904. In 1909 and 1910 there were signs of revival but it was not sustained. In 1915 Glossop received a single vote in the re-election process and shortly afterwards, the club was disbanded for the duration of the Great War.
After the war ended, Glossop were reformed by Oswald
Partington: he had captained the side in the 1890s and was now a Member
of Parliament. The club played in the Lancashire Combination and the Manchester
League. In 1955 they moved from their original League ground at North
Road to their present ground at Surrey Street. Since then they have played
in the Lancashire Combination, the Manchester League and the Cheshire
League before becoming founder Members of the Bass North West Counties
After nearly going out of business in 1991, the club was reconstituted and reverted to its original name of Glossop North End.
- (a) Simon Monks
- (b) Picture the Past
- (c) Rejected FC (Dave Twydell 1989) - information provided by Greger Lindberg.
- (d) Pete Hurn
- (e) Association of Football Statisticians - provided by Pete Wyatt
- (f) Rejected FC (Dave Twydell 1989) - information provided by Pete Wyatt.
- (g) Keith Ellis
- (h) Colorsports